|News FAQ Download regcol TTN POIs WP WM Links Donate?|
First of all I'd like to thank you for contacting the FAQ page of hfrmobile.com!|
If you have questions about hfrmobile.com applications this should be the first place for searching for an answer. If you don't find your answer here please visit the hfrmobile.com forum! If you question does not exist at the forum (or is not answered yet) please write me an e-mail with a meaningful subject so that my e-mail application is able to distinguish between e-mails an spam. Thank you!
1. What kind of devices/processors are supported?
Not all applications are supporting all devices and CPU types! Not all CF applications are supporting VGA resolution or landscape mode.
2. For which kind of devices are these applications developed?At the beginning I developed my applications for the Compaq Aero 1500 or 1550 (Palm-size PC). Later I added support for Pocket PC's (e.g. Compaq iPAQ) and Smartphones (e.g. HTC S310). Some applications also support H/PC Pro devices.
At the moment I am using Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX 600, T-Mobile MDA Compact II and HTC S310 for developing/testing my applications. which is of course also a supported device for my applications.
3. What operating system do I need?
You need at least Windows CE 2.11 (e.g. Palm-Size PC). Newer versions like Windows CE 3.0 (PPC2000, PPC2002), Windows CE 4.x (WM2003, WM2003 SE) or Windows CE 5.x (WM2005).
4. How can I install these applications?
Download the .zip file. Then extract the .cab file from the .zip file. Copy
the .cab file to your mobile device. Double click the .cab file. Ready! See
also What operating system do I need?.
5. What is UAEDT?
UAEDT stands for UAE Debugging Tool (UAE = Unrecoverable Application Error). This name is a little bit historical caused ;-) UAEDT is a useful debugging tool for Windows CE.
6. Available Downloads
All my applications are available at http://www.hfrmobile.com! You may find some of my applications at other PDA/Shareware/Freeware sites like pocket.at, Softonic, Software Archives, Heise.de, PocketPCFreewares, FreewarePPC etc.
7. The Switch icon has disappeared completely. How to make it visible again?
If you provided invalid coordinates using the "Settings" menu item you can make the switch icon visible again using the following way:
This information applies to Switch Version 1.21 or higher!
If you have no registry editor you can use a tweak to solve this problem!
8. Unable to launch a hfrmobile application on a Jordana 72x or similar device?
If you receive an error when you try to start an application on a Jordana 720 or 728 or another similar device you have to copy the file mfcce211.dll to the windows directory of your device (e.g. \Windows). ARM version of mfcce211.dll can be found here. See also FAQ 12.
9. My mobile device uses a XSCALE cpu. Where can I find applications for it?
If an application is not available for the XSCALE cpu you can also use the ARM (StrongARM) version of it. XSCALE cpu's also understand ARM instructions. My newer applications (e.g. MemInfo.NET, Rosebud, Voyager) are developed with the .NET CF and in this case you need not care about it.
10. Are there undocumented features?Yes, there are undocumented features in some of my applications ;-) Here is a list of all applications with hidden features in alphabetic order:
11. How to install an application?Sometimes I have been asked how to install an application. The following procedure is valid for all applications which are downloaded from hfrmobile.com. If an application is already installed de-install it before using the following procedure:
12. When I start an application I receive the error message "Can't find 'Application Name' (or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available." - What should I do?This is a common and known issue (often on older devices). To solve this problem you have to copy the appropriate mfcceXX.dll to the \Windows directory on your device:
13. When I try to start an application nothing happens. What's going on?
Sometimes when there is an active ActiveSync connection applications do not start. In this case close the ActiveSync connection and the application will launch. This is a common problem with ActiveSync. If you know the reason why this happens please let me know!
14. Are there known bugs in your applications?
The application which is completely free of bugs is the application that will never be developed. Despite the fact that my applications are tested very well and they run through a well designed development cycle (alpha phase (HOT builds) - beta phase - release) bugs can never be completely avoided: List of known bugs
15. Do you know some mobile sites?
16. Which PDA related sites to you recommend?
Of course this is not a complete list! Since there exists a lot of useful PDA related sites I will not maintain
this list in the future!
17. Uninstalling an application does not work. What can I do?Usually you should remove (uninstall) an application using the Add/Remove applet (Start|Settings>System, Remove Programs). On some devices this may not work (especially on devices using a language like Japanese which use another character set). Since my application names contain a special character é (e with accent acute) which may some devices don't understand.
In this case you have to remove (uninstall) the application manually:
18. Which applications from others to you recommend?Here is a list of recommended applications in alphabetic order:
19. What about WM2003, WM2005, WM2006, ...?
20. Why are my e-mails to hfrmobile not being answered?This may have several reasons:
Please consider providing meaningful subjects for your e-mails (e.g. "Help needed for [application name]"; where [application name] is the name of one of my applications). CAUTION: e-mails with subjects like "Hi", "RE: Hi", "Fwd: Hi", "Hello", "Test", "RE: test" etc. will be deleted without reading because I assume that it is SPAM. e-mails with attachments and non meaningful subjects will also be deleted without reading! Consider this if you use HTML and images (= attachment) as your e-mail format. May you prefer using raw text e-mails! Thank you!
21. Sometimes the 'Contacts' application does not start. What's wrong?
That's a good question! Sometimes this happens on my LOOX 600 with
PPC2002. The solution sounds strange but works (without a soft-reset!):
22. Cannot remove a menu item from the Windows start menu. Why?
This is a good question and Microsoft's answer is even better...
23. RCMD: tskedit command does nothing. Why?
The tskedit command only works if an application is associated with .pwi (InkWriter/Note Taker) file type! Usually this is Microsoft Word.
24. Cannot decrypt a file which was encrypted with CCrryyppttoo. Why?
This FAQ assumes that you know your password and typed it correctly! The most likely cause for this problem is that you opened the encrypted file with Pocket Word or Pocket Excel. Never do this! Opening and closing an encrypted file will cause Pocket Word or Pocket Excel that the file will be saved (converted) even you haven't changed the file. If you accidentally opened an encrypted file do a soft-reset in order to avoid that the file will be saved (destroyed). If the encrypted file was saved (destroyed) CCrryyppttoo will only give you the option to encrypt the file because it was converted to Pocket Word or Pocket Excel file format.
25. Which hfrmobile applications will continue and which will discontinue?
Generally applications downloadable at hfrmobile.com will be supported, maintained, improved (e.g. bug-fixes, new versions
with new features) for the future.
26. LOOX FAQ's
27. Why I can't de-install hfrmobile .NET applications?
Of course you can! Since it takes a while until .NET CF (.NET Compact Framework) applications are loaded (specially on older devices) I have implemented a "QuickStart" feature for some of my .NET applications for PDA's. If this feature is active the application keeps in memory so that it can be started very quickly. There are two ways to de-install such an application:
28. How can I use "Pro" editions of hfrmobile applications?
The "Pro" editions of my applications need a license to run. In order to obtain a license key determine your device id using DeviceInfo and send it to me and make the donation as described on the product page. After receiving your donation I create a key with your device id and send it back to you. This procedure may take some days because I do it in my spare time!
I decided to use PayPal for this because it seems to be simple and secure! Please do not forget that I develop all my applications in my spare time and sometimes it is really hard to develop good software for mobile devices and often it is very time consuming. Of course the freeware applications will remain free!
29. What about WAP?
I am not sure if WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) is alive or dead. There are a lot of (more or less) usable WML (Wireless Markup Language) pages but there are more HTML pages optimized for mobile devices such as Pocket PC. There are also a lot of sub-domains (wap.example.com) which are no WAP/WML pages which can be confusing for users (and me).
Some time ago I added wap.hfrmobile.com for testing and experimenting with WAP/WML.
30. What about Vista/Windows 7 installation problems?
You may ask yourself why this is necessary. Some of my desktop applications are using a self developed "setuphelper.exe" application which does some extra initializations during setup (e.g. adding the application path to the PATH environment variable).
If you're using the "Secondary Logon" feature I recommend logging off all other users when installing an application specially when you're installing an application for all local users.
|Copyright © 2000-2018 Harald-René Flasch. All Rights reserved.|